Topics of Interest:
1. The Impact of Dietary Phosphorus and Calcium (CaP-K) on Feline Kidney Health
2. Early Renal Disease Biomarkers
EveryCat Health Foundation, in a special funding opportunity co-sponsored by Nestlé Purina Petcare and Mars Petcare, is funding grants that address the effect that dietary phosphorus and calcium to phosphorus ratio have on renal health in cats as well as biomarkers to detect early renal disease. Approximately $400,000 is available to fund proposals of sufficient scientific merit, relevance, and potential to impact feline health.
The overall goal of such research is to provide evidence that will lead to scientific consensus on safe levels and types of dietary phosphorus for feline diets. High priority areas that have been identified and will be given special consideration include:
- Investigation of factors that influence phosphorus bioavailability and metabolism including source and form of phosphorus in foods.
- Identification of biomarkers of renal injury (i.e., especially markers that detect early kidney changes before irreversible damage occurs).
- Identification of in vitro assays that correlate with in vivo function of phosphorus sources.
“Kidney disease is the number one cause of death in older cats, but its cause is unknown. EveryCat Health Foundation has teamed up with two giants of the pet food industry, Nestlé Purina Petcare, and Mars Petcare, to fund health studies investigating these critical areas that improve the quality and longevity of every cat’s life,” states Drew Weigner, DVM, EveryCat Health Foundation’s Past President.
It is expected that most grants will be in the range of $10,000 – $50,000 for 1-2-year projects. Projects must demonstrate their relevance regarding the topic of interest and their benefit to improving feline health, particularly regarding domestic cats.
Exceptional grants may be funded up to $100,000. These grants exhibit a very high degree of proficiency and pursue truly ground-breaking research into the topics of interest.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Monday, March 21, 2022 (11:59 pm EDT)
Awards will be announced in early June of 2022.
Application Guidelines and Grant Application Checklist can be found HERE