Topic of Interest: Feline Kidney Health and the Impact of Dietary Phosphorus and Calcium (CaP-K)
EveryCat Health Foundation, in a special funding opportunity co-sponsored by Nestlé Purina Petcare and Mars Petcare, is calling for a second round of proposals in 2021 that address the effect that dietary phosphorus and calcium to phosphorus ratio have on renal health in cats. Approximately $400,000 is available to fund proposals of sufficient scientific merit, relevance and potential to impact feline health.
- The deadline for proposal submission for this second review is April 12, 2021.
- The maximum grant amount is $50,000 for 1 to 2-year projects. Guidelines for proposals can be found HERE
Proposals should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The overall goal of such research is to provide evidence that will lead to scientific consensus on safe levels and types of dietary phosphorus for feline diets. High priority areas have been identified and will be given special consideration. These include:
- Investigation of factors that influence phosphorus bioavailability and metabolism including source and form of phosphorus in foods.
- Identification of biomarkers of renal injury, especially markers that detect early kidney changes.
- Identification of in vitro assays that correlate with in vivo function of phosphorus sources.
“Kidney disease is the number one cause of death in older cats, but its cause is unknown. EveryCat Healtth Foundation has teamed up with two giants of the pet food industry, Nestlé Purina Petcare and Mars Petcare, to fund health studies investigating these critical areas that improve the quality and longevity of every cat’s life.” states Drew Weigner, DVM, EveryCat Health Foundation’s President.
Get guidelines and application forms here.